Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Integrity in Adoption -- Your Opinion Wanted!

So recently, Jason and I were informed of a possible way to adopt sooner rather than later, apparently less expensive, presumably easier, etc. The only catch is the agency is located in Georgia, and we would have to set up a residence in that state... We were told we could find a house to rent for pretty cheap, make it appear that we lived there, spend a few weekends there a month, at least until the adoption was completed. And that apparently happens darn fast, too.
Now go back to high school softball days... When it was suggested that if you wanted to transfer to a different school and not have to sit out a year because of districting and all, you could just use the address of a relative or friend, and spend the night with that person occassionally.
There can be lots of integrity issues in adoption... And life in general... Especially with international adoption, where there's a paper-thin line between when-in-Rome, and retaining your integrity and not making it harder for the couples who adopt after you go back home. If I say I live in Georgia, but my job, "real" house, church, friends, and LIFE are all in Alabama, have I compromised my integrity?
What about.....
***The family who really does live in GA that the birth mother might have chosen, had I not been there?
***The birth mother who thinks I live in GA, who might have wanted to be nearer to her child. Maybe she couldn't travel to AL, but would have been close enough to visit in GA?
***The people who adopt after us, who might have to try harder to prove they really DO live in GA full-time, because the gov't decides setting up a temporary residence is unacceptable?
***The person who doesn't know Jesus, and wonders why I call myself a Christian, but purposely do something that could compromise my integrity? Or the person who IS a Christian, and justifies their own compromising, because they saw me do something similar?
***My very own self, for going ahead with something I feel in my heart is not exactly kosher?
***My (currently hypothetical) child?
***Anyone/anything I'm leaving out that you think of?
Thus far, I've basically given my/our opinions and told you what we're planning.* But this time, I want your opinion! Would this whole scenario be an issue if integrity? Why do you agree or disagree?
*Even if we don't ask for your opinions, feel free to comment anytime or any post.... We like to know who's here! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I have been told many, many times to steer clear of offers like this.

    Actually, this is all kinda scary.

    ReplyDelete